Friday, August 12, 2011

You just might like it


Where have all the books gone? Really I should say where have all the readers gone? The more people I meet the more I realize how few people actually sit down and enjoy a good book. Why is this? As a kid I grew up in a house with parents who loved to read and made it known not by telling us but by showing us. My dad had/has books in every room, always a few open with notes in the margin and favorite passages highlighted. My mom ( an English Lit Grad and Previous English Teacher) knows how to spell every word in the dictionary. Which is why I never really learned to spell- I'll just ask mom... :)  My mom read us stories long past the age of bed time stories. But thats what made it so special. Sometimes she would read out loud to us at the bus stop. I must admit at first I was embarrassed, until I realized all the other kids were listening too. They would come sit next to my mom while she read. Reading has the power to bring  people together. The point is Im glad I learned to love and appreciate reading as a kid. So, as Harvey Mackay says "Read to expand your mind. Read for fun. Read because you are interested in something -- and read to become more interesting. You'll never waste your time if you are reading!" See you soon, Im off to read to my kiddies.







8 comments:

barbara said...

You're right! It's a vanishing breed. No one wants to spend the time. I was in a used book store yesterday, reading and picking up treasures. thanks sweetheart. I'm glad you have good memories of our reading.

Nadia said...

Thank you mom.

DebiHope54@gmail.com said...

Soooooo true! I love to read as well and always have! I think if I didn't have to work, I would read all day long! I would love to know what you are reading these days. I'm reading The Help....just need more hours in the day. so glad you are teaching your kids to love reading as well!

Rae said...

I didn't know your mom was an english teacher, I can TOTALLY see that. I bet the kids loved her!

elise said...

Hudson's current favorite thing is to crawl into his room and pick up a book (I always leave some on the floor) & turn the pages while babbling to himself. Make me SO HAPPY!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

You're right that parents are the best examples when it comes to reading and loving a story. Unfortunately I think that reading has become a type of indulgence--how many people ask me "how do you have time to read so much?" Well, they used to...when I had time. ;) I read to Elle a lot now but I can't wait until she realizes it and actually enjoys it!

Michelle said...

I am really looking forward to the time when I can start reading some chapter books to my girls. Anne of Green Gables. That kind of thing. Ellie would let me read to her for hours. Emmory only lasts a couple of minutes though. I love reading. And apparantly rambling. Oops. Sorry. I guess I need to get out more! ;)

elise said...

Do you guys get BYU magazine? There was an article in the most recent issue about a man who loved reading...how much he learned about the world from reading. He said he spent 60-90 minutes every night of his life, before bed, reading & read 2-3 books a week!